5/24/13

Friday, May 24, 2013

So it has happened my friends. Come September 11 I start a whole new adventure. One that I know will bless my lives and those of others in more ways than I can possibly think of. Do you all remember this little post here? Well it's time to talk about it then.
 
For those of you who do not know, I am LDS (find out more about that here), and on September 11 I will be leaving to serve an 18 mission in.... JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI!!! I am so excited and grateful that I have this opportunity to serve a mission, and September couldn't come fast enough!
 
I know some of you may be thinking, "Mississippi? Well that kind of sucks. Too bad you couldn't have gone somewhere cool and foreign." Believe me, I have seen this question cross many faces as I have spread the good news. I am hear to tell you all that I couldn't be more thrilled and excited to have the opportunity to serve in Mississippi. I won't lie though, it kind of gets to you. People aren't as excited for you, especially since my brother (who is also serving a mission) got called to Australia, but I am here to tell all of you that getting called to a "cool" place isn't the purpose of a mission. Strangely enough, it took a conversation with my grandpa, who is not a member of the same church, to realize this.
 
My grandpa came over to fix my families ice machine, because it has been broken for the past week. I was the only one home, and he began to ask me how I felt about going to Mississippi. I told him that I was thrilled! I told him that I love the south, and that I think it will be awesome. He just went on to tell me how some people had been saying things like, "Man, that's too bad. I wish she could have gotten called somewhere different." That is when my awesome grandpa piped in and said something along the lines of, "The purpose of this mission thing is for service, not for getting to go someplace cool. Think about it.. they couldn't have sent someone better. Someone who is in no way whatsoever racist or judgemental. I think it is a perfect fit."
 
Hearing this really helped me realize the purpose of why I decided to serve a mission in the first place, and why I had to put all my trust in the Lord to send me somewhere that I was most needed. I decided to serve a mission because I love the gospel and the love and happiness it brings into my life. I decided to serve because I want to have the opportunity to teach people about this amazing gospel so they can also have a life filled with love and happiness. I know that Mississippi is where I am supposed to be, and as soon as I read where I was serving a mission out loud I was filled with an overbearing amount of joy and comfort. So yes, I cannot wait to get to Mississippi and to do the Lord's work.
 
Plus, people can't be that shocked. I was crossing my fingers for Kansas ;) Close enough!
 
 
Also, if any of you have any questions feel free to ask me in the comments or send me and email. I will do my best to answer them!

*via Tumblr

8 comments:

  1. that's so exciting, shelby! you should do a post about missions, i know nothing. like where do you live while youre there, how many people go with you, will you know anybody, what will you be doing, etc.
    CONGRATS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a really good idea!! i think i will do that soon :) maybe once it gets closer to me actually leaving!

      Delete
  2. Oh, congratulations!! I know what you mean about people's reactions, but your grandpa gave some great advice. My brother went to Iowa, and people's faces usually fell when he told them. I don't get it haha. Missions are the coolest thing. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! i really am just so excited. i am getting used to people's reactions though. i know why i am going, and that is all that matters.

      Delete
  3. oh, congrats Shelby!!! I am not religious myself, but I love seeing those who are so dedicated and in love with their faith. you'll do so so great! and girl, Mississippi sounds amazing. no matter where you are, you are bound to come across amazing people with amazing personalities who you could learn so much from. and you are right, you're going to serve a purpose - to spread the gospel you love so much. I am so happy for you and I think it's an entirely selfless thing to do. you'll learn so much and you'll come back a different person, I'm sure! I hope you have the time of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this seriously meant so much to me! you are just the loveliest. so thank you. i am just so excited!!!! i can't wait :)

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! You will be so amazing :) The people in Mississippi are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh stop it! you are just the sweetest! thanks girlie :)

      Delete

I appreciate your loveliest of lovely comments! :)

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...