The Classics

Thursday, February 7, 2013

I have been spending a lot of time at the library lately, which means I am gathering a lot of books. I feel like everywhere I turn I have more piles of books. It is getting a little out of hand.. but not really.
I tend to pile my books in categories. Not always, but it is something I have recently realized.
I have decided that I am going to start collecting all my favorite "classics". My only rule is I can only buy them from used book shops. There is an awesome little used book shop in downtown SLC that is just too die for. I could spend hours in there! I stopped by this weekend, and ended up coming out with The Catcher In the Rye. This was one of my all time favorite books in high school, and finding this little beauty is what gave me the idea to start collecting all my favorite "classics", or books written by some of my favorite "classic" authors (ex. F. Scott Fitzgerald aka my favorite). It was a blast going through all the old books, and I even took one of my friends with me! She had never been, and ended up going home with two adorable little books in French. She is serving and LDS mission in France, so they were absolutely perfect.

As odd as it may sound, one of my favorite smells EVER is the smell of old books aka used book stores. Call me crazy, but it is like it just smells like history. Just old and strong and fantastic. It is so mind-blowing to know that every single book in a used book store was owned by someone else. It had a whole other life before it made its way to the used book store, and I just love that. I am a weirdo though so... probably in this alone.

On a completely unrelated note, I have been having a really hard time being inspired to pick out my outfits in the morning. I just can't do it. Nothing looks pleasing to me, and I end up putting little to no effort whatsoever into my outfits. It usually comes pretty easy to me, so this little funk is freaking me out. I seriously walk out the door in jeans and a band tee half the time. Like for real you guys! It is getting bad. Maybe I am just getting lazy. Whatever it is, it needs to end. Like right now would be good. Does anyone have some good ideas/inspiration to get out of a fashion funk? Absolutely any advice will be accepted. I am even letting my mom dress me some days, because I don't know what else to do (this is actually a good thing though, because my mom has excellent fashion sense). So please... HELP ME!

Well things have been crazy busy. I always hit a certain point in the semester where I just can't do anything anymore. I am trying to stay motivated, and I am trying to make sure I am staying creative. Yesterday I did a little photo shoot with my friend Emily. I am LOVING how some of the photos turned out, and I can't wait to share them with y'all. It was quite an adventure taking these photos, but more on that later.

I hope everyone has fun plans for the weekend. Today was my little bros birthday, so today was filled with streamers, balloons, party hats, Chinese food, and of course cake and ice cream. We do birthdays right in this house! Other than birthday celebrations I don't have a single plan for this weekend so it should be interesting. It is one of my best friend's LDS mission farewell on Sunday, and I am totally freaking out. I am not ready for her to leave! I have no idea what I am going to do without her. I fully support her and I am unbelievably excited for her, but it will be hard not having her here. I am going to loose my concert buddy! Sad face...

14 comments:

  1. Oooh all of these book look SO interesting and fun. I am a big believer in books and libraries :)

    I hope the semester can be a little more enjoyable. Can't wait to see those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I don't think people go to the library, or read actual copies of books enough. And I'm crossing my fingers about school!

      Delete
  2. Loving all of these photography books! And of course MK&A ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it isn't complete without a little MK&A!

      Delete
  3. Cute snapshots!
    I like your print mixing!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if you find any good photography books. I definitely need to do some reading in that genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually 50 Photo Projects by Lee Frost was really interesting. I mostly just skimmed through it, but it gave me a lot of new photo ideas!

      Delete
  5. there is nothing better than the smell of old books. except maybe rain, dishwasher detergent and gasoline...

    outfit funks happen all the time. spice it up? mix the fancy with the rock? the soft with the edgy. you got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I definitely agree! Except gasoline. Haha I don't know why, but I swear I am the only person on the planet that doesn't like the smell of gasoline.

      That is a good idea! Mixing different styles. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. looooving your stacks of books. that's how my room looks! but not quite as organised ;) also I LOVE the smell of books! old & new! I literally have my nose in books. all of the time. haha! and it must be that time of year with fashion inspiration....I'm lacking it too lately. Now I'm thanking myself for taking those bathroom selfies, as I'm saying "(Lizzie McGuire!) You are an outfit repeater!" hahaha ah well.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! you might just be my favorite person. anyone who quotes Lizzie McGuire is an automatic friend of mine. I haven't been this way in such a long time. Just one day I decided to go to the library, and came back with a million books. I'm not complaining.

      Delete
  7. One can never have too many books! Especially style books! As for your outfit funk maybe its winter getting to you. I suggest looking at spring collections online, finding some new blogs to read and maybe getting something new that you love to wear will inspire you again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are very good ideas :) I have definitely been finding some new blogs to read. That usually helps, but I never thought to look at spring collections. I am not usually one to look at collections EVER, but I am kind of liking the idea. Thanks!!

      Delete

I appreciate your loveliest of lovely comments! :)

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...