The Dream

Thursday, February 14, 2013

 I know I continue to mention this, but one of my best friends leaves for France in less than a week. She will be there for a total of 18 months, and our only communication will be through letters via snail mail. In other words, we have been spending as much time as we possibly can before she leaves. Our friendship is a funny one. It kind of started out of nowhere. We automatically clicked when we figured out we both had a love for long haired boys, beards, and music. After going to one concert together it was almost like we were instant best friends. I am so unbelievably grateful for the opportunity I have had to get to know her, and I am so lucky to have her as  friend. We are basically the same person, don't even worry about it.

Yesterday I was reading Shawnee's post (check out her blog here) about living a simple life, and basically bringing out your inner hippie. This post just made me itch for a dream I have ALWAYS had. A dream that is so impractical, but I believe the experience would be worth it. The dream of taking a summer to move to some small beach town, living in the cheapest apartment you can find, bringing just a backpack of "supplies", and basically spending the summer on the beach. Learning to surf, skateboarding/biking to get you places, no social media, no make-up, a little job at a little cafe. Really just living as simply as you can, and enjoying earth and all it has to offer. I know this is a bit cheesy.. alright maybe a lot cheesy, but it has always been my dream. Just for a summer at least. Anyone else ever feel like this, or have dreams like this?

The reason I even bring it up is because after I saw Shawnee's blog post I immediately text my friend about it. Later that day we went to lunch, and basically planned it out for when she gets home. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I know that with her it will actually happen. We get things done you guys! Haha we come up with goals, and we accomplish them. We have already completed a bunch of goals we had for before she left, so I know that we will do it. Seriously, I couldn't be more thrilled! You know how exciting it is to have a fun that isn't all talk? It obviously won't be for a while, but there is just something about knowing it will happen. Ahhh! I don't know. I don't know what to say about it anymore.

I really am just so thankful to have a friend that I seriously share everything and more in common with. I feel like it has been a long time coming. Haha So Emily, this post is for you. Only two more years until we make "the dream" a reality. Wow, I make it sound like we are in a relationship or something.. Haha Thank you for being just as crazy as me at heart. Thank you for liking the "weird" boys with me, even when they suck. Thank you for being my concert buddy, and going to like a million and one concerts with me. I can't believe this all started because we just happened to be riding the same bus to school. I know when we first started hanging out it was a little awkward, so thank you for continuing to go and do stuff with me. Thank you for being my only friend to believe in The North Valley, and go to every freaking show like stalkers. You seriously have become one of my best friends, and I thank God every single day for giving me a friend like you. I think we both can agree that it is so important to have a friend that you can do the things you love with, and how different it is when they actually love those things to. I am going to miss you like crazy, but there will plenty of letters filled with stories (expectation and reality), pictures, and those lady things that for some reason Europeans don't believe in. I love you girl. You are going to be an incredible missionary, and France is lucky to have you (and all those other cool places that are a part of your mission). Take a billion pictures, and we will go through them all when we are re-reading our letters and living in Hawaii!

*all images found here

13 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for your friend to go to France, and even more excited for her to come back in 18 months so you can both bring out your inner hippie. Hopefully she'll send you pictures while she's on her trip so you can blog about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely can't wait!! And I will have to make sure she sends pictures!

      Delete
  2. Aww, you're the sweetest friend. Soak up this time with her, but know it's not the last time you'll see her! And its the perfect excuse to visit France, yeahhhhhh! Wish her a safe trip and you a funnn time!


    http://DownToStars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely have been spending as much times as we can together before she leaves. It is very bitter sweet. We are both excited for her new adventure and getting to write letters back and forth, but it will be hard. It definitely is the perfect excuse to visit France in the future ;)

      Delete
  3. This is really precious! I definitely have a friend like this, we share the dream of escaping to Alaska or Canada for the summer and living near the mountains, in the closest proximity to nature as possible. I don't know if it will ever happen, but just having someone who I can confide in completely about my cliche dreams is good enough for me. True friends are hard to come by, so hold on to her tight! And speaking from experience in having long distances relationships, really commit to it! Start writing letters now, send them before she gets there, make sure the communication is constant. She will love you even more for it!
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the advice. I think that will be very important. It really means so much to have a friend that you can tell anything to. It is even better when they agree with the crazy things you say! Haha

      Delete
  4. Your friend is super lucky to have u in their life! I hope that trip does happen bcuz we'll wanna see pics of all the surfing and beach boys! :>


    http://DownToStars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. that is so sweet of you to say! oh, it will happen! and when it does there will be MANY photos of surfing and beach boys! :) don't you worry!

      Delete
  5. Awww! I love this. reading this made my heart go crazy all over again. HIPPIE LIFE, yo. and France, so cool! sounds like the best kind of friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I thank YOU for posting something like this in the first place. It made me realize I wasn't the only one out there. For real, hippie life is the way to go!!!!

      Delete
  6. so sweet! it will go by faster than you think! :) and you know what, sometimes it is like you're dating your girl friends...but not really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! i totally understand this. i always get nervous that the way i describe or talk about my friends makes it sound like i am dating them. then i stopped carrying. haha

      Delete
    2. @Jane yes. dating but not really. --perfection.

      Delete

I appreciate your loveliest of lovely comments! :)

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...